protecting your children online
with Corrie Orpin
Protecting your children online these days is important as they are exposed to a vortex of information through the world wide web. As a parent, you play an integral role in helping your children stay safe online. The internet offers an exciting world of experiences for children, such as games, interactive socialising and educational information.
However, using the internet also involves risks and challenges. Your children can potentially be exposed to content that is violent, prohibited or even illegal. They may also experience cyber bullying or be at risk from contact by strangers.
And your children may also unknowingly or deliberately share personal information without realising, making them subject to identity theft, or they may leave content that might not reflect well on them in the future.
By taking an active role in talking with your kids about the risks and answering their questions or concerns about something they find on the internet you can help them stay safer online.
Top Five Safety Tips:
1. Know what your children are doing online – make sure they know how to stay safe and encourage them to tell you if they come across anything suspicious or if anybody says or does something that makes them feel uncomfortable or threatened.
2. Get to know the technologies your children are using. This will help you understand the risks and enable you to talk to them about what they are doing online.
3. Place the computer in a family area of the home – the family or living room, rather than a bedroom.
4. Install an internet content filter. This can be used to restrict what content is viewed and downloaded or the times when they can use the internet.
5. Make sure your children know not to share personal information or photos. This includes their full name, mailing address, telephone number, the name of their school, or any information that could allow someone to work out who they are and where they live.
I am happy to answer any questions relating to online safety and can be contacted on the phone number below.